Instant PDF download
This is the seventh design in the Celtic Cable Shawls collection.
Ishneich is a top-down triangular shawl, designed to work well with a variegated yarn and a co-ordinating solid or semi-solid. The cabled section features a Celtic knot comprised of a single strand looping around itself. Two lateral braids are worked after the cabled section, and finally a lace edging is knitted on perpendicularly.
In the materials list, Yarn A refers to the semi-solid yarn used for the cabled section and Yarn B refers to the variegated background yarn used in the body section and lace edging.
Shown in size L
Length of neck edge: 45 ”/(114 [152.5] cm)
Neck edge to centre point: 22.5 ”/(57  cm)
- 4.0 mm/US size 6 needles (or size needed to obtain gauge; long circulars recommended)
- Yarn A: 285  yds/(261  m) of fingering weight yarn (sample shown in Malabrigo Sock, ‘Aguas’ 100% merino, 440 yds/(402 m) per 100 g)
- Yarn B: 205  yds/(187  m) of fingering weight yarn (sample shown in Malabrigo Sock, ‘Pocion’)
- 2 stitch markers
- Waste yarn
- Cable needle
- Darning needle
- Pins/wires for blocking
Intermediate to advanced. Skills required include:
- Garter tab beginning
- Closed-loop cables (tutorial links included in pattern)
- Lateral braids (explained in pattern)
- Basic lace
- Knitting on an edging perpendicularly